reprap

Bumblebee II is running again

I finally got both my printers running again, the Hippie was pretty easy, it just needed a new hotend as the thermistor on the current one (which is over a year old) broke.

The Bumblebee II I was switching back to the E3D V6 hotend, and I was finally able to get it to print reliably and consistently.  I think the whole issue was related to my extruder, up until a few months ago I had been using a Maker Gear geared extruder and it had tons of torque so adjusting it wasn't that critical.  I switched to a Bulldog XL after the planetary gear was worn out in the Maker Gear extruder, and I had been struggling with getting consistent prints.  Half way through the print the filament would stop feeding, or it would strip it out.  I did some experiments with temperature and filament tension on the Bulldog and finally got the right settings.  I have to run the E3D a little hotter probably because of the active cooling, but the prints have been coming out great finally.

I started working on the onboard power system for the lighting and the Raspberry Pi and the lighting sections are working fine, but the Pi doesn't seem to be working correctly.  I need to pull out a monitor and keyboard and test it tonight, I'm not sure if it's not delivering enough current, but I also ordered 1.5a 7812 and 7805 chips from Mouser just so they won't run as hot.
 

Last parts (I hope) ordered for the 3DR printer

I placed the order for the last bits and pieces I need for the 3DR. I wasn't able to make the orange filament yet, I have to make a chopper so I can chop up the filament and extrude it twice to get the uniform color in the filament, and that should be ready mid-November. So I ordered a spool or orange filament, the rods and ball ends for the actuators, and some other bits and pieces which should arrive tomorrow. Then I'll be able to start printing the parts and beginning the assembly!!!

My next printer

I've decided to build a 3DR which is a deltabot designed by RichRap. The nice thing about it is that it only requires some bearings, almost everything else is either printed or off the shelf bolts. I'm going to make some red filament to print the parts for it, and I'm really looking forward to having a small portable FAST printer.

3D printing status

Well, haven't done much lately, but I'm finally getting back to working on my printers.

The hippie has been running with a .7 nozzle ever since it got clogged up with some cheap plastic and I drilled it out. But I think it's time to put another .4 back on it. It's nice how fast it prints, but it is nice to be able to print the detailed objects on either printer instead of relying on the bumblebee II. Also I finally had to adjust the settings for the bed leveling, had to adjust it .2 mm as it's apparently shifted ever so slight on the carriage. But other than that it's been working awesome.

The bumblebee II is not up right now, I had gotten the E3D v5 hotend and was experimenting with the quick release carriage, but I really don't like it. I also had the thermistor pop out and had a thermal runaway on the hotend. It doesn't appear to have damaged anything, but I decided to go ahead and upgrade it to the V6 of the E3D, as it has a more secure fastening for the thermistor and is almost the same size as the J-head. I'm also going back to the maker gear x-carriage with a wider opening that fits the E3D better. The rumba board has been working awesome and allowed me to move up to a 24v power supply.

WhoDat Festival Fun

Had a wonderful time yesterday going to the WhoDat festival at Doodad farm in western Greensboro yesterday with the Alamance Makers guild.

I took the Hippie out and was printing Yodas, Round Tuits, nautilus gear puzzles, and a few Doodad and WhoDat coins. Had lots of great visitors stop by and chat, and lots of kids with AMAZING questions and tons of enthusiasm.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by!