Prusa build continues

Well I've gotten the frame all aligned and tightened.  But after discussing with Neil I am going to cut a template jig with my CNC and go back and double check.


This won't really slow me down due to the issues I've run across with the Clonedel parts I started with on my RepRap.  So far they have been ok in building my Prusa, but when I got to the X axis parts I started to have quite a few concerns.  The first one is the design is very different from the printed parts. The bottoms are very very thin (like 1mm in spots) and they do not have the support around the z-shafts like I would be comfortable with.


So since I'm an official member of the Fablocker Hackerspace (yay me!!) Thursday night Neil gave me one of the x-axis pieces (the motor piece) and we printed out the idler, and he also had two gears for the belts that were much better than the clonedel pieces.  We also worked on installing the toolchain on my laptop, and I got that working fine today.  At least to the point where I can take a SCAD or STL and run it through slic3r and then load it up in Pronterface and it looks good.


Monday I'll be working with Neil to get the configuration setup on my laptop to work with the Prusa at the Hackerspace so then I can print the rest of the pieces I'm going to need myself.  This includes Z-axis stabilizers, z-axis couplers, and the x-carriage that will fit my Arcol hotend.  I might even print new z-axis brackets, better now than when I have everything all put together.


I got my parts for my Sanguinololu board today, and boy am I happy with them.  From the wiki page there is a little link to the project file on Mouser's website that has every single part you need to assemble the Sanguinololu, including alternates for the how you want to run the power.


I was a little concerned in soldering the FTDI chip, but I do have a very nice soldering iron with ESD and digital temperature control so I figured I'd give it a shot.  The first time I tried to test it I didn't get a response, so I went back over the pins and soldered them just a little bit longer (using my magnifier, sheesh those pins are small) and sure enough the second time was a charm.  I then installed the rest of the components, and I now have a ready to go Sanguinololu 1.3a board (well at least it's recognized by my Mac, and the light goes on, firmware and bootloader to come).


I think that tonight I may cut the jig, and then tomorrow I'll be assembling my hot end.  Or I may reverse that :)